A database is an essential part of most websites and blogs, but setting up and using a database can be a daunting task for the beginner web developer.
In this tutorial you’ll learn — in simple terms — how to install, set up, and use a MySQL database on your computer. This will give you a good grounding in MySQL that you’ll find useful when you start developing database-driven websites using PHP, Ruby, or your language of choice.
You’ll explore the following areas in this tutorial:
- The concept of a database, and why databases are useful
- The advantages of using MySQL to manage your databases
- How to install MySQL on your computer
- Using the MySQL Monitor program to send commands to your MySQL server
- How to create a database and table
- SQL (Structured Query Language), and what it’s used for
- Adding records to a table, and retrieving records from a table
Ready to start exploring MySQL? Let’s go!