The Future of Elated

You are currently not logged in. You can view the forums, but cannot post messages. Log In | Register

07-Jul-14 00:00
This is a forum topic for discussing the article "The Future of Elated":

http://www.elated.com/articles/the-future-of-elated/

What's been going on with Elated recently?
07-Jul-14 17:00
It's a general thing with ALL "web stuff" related forum and sites, one forum I admin at I gets about four posts a day now, and I delete three of those as spam, two or three years ago fifty to a hundred per day was usual. (webmasterground.com)

webmaster-talk.com was getting two - three hundred posts every day and dropped off to twenty or thirty in the space of a couple of days

A lot of is the evolution of the Internet;
bulletin boards gave way to discussion forum and simply died off.

Now discussion forums are giving way to 'blogs' and 'social' media.

Eventually blogs and social media will dies off in favour of the next trend.

Nobody is looking for "Page Kits" anymore they want Wordpress or Joomla! templates and rather than the footer links 'hurting', ninety percent of them probably don't exist any more.

--
Chris.
So long, and thanks for all the fish.
http://webmaster-talk.eu/
08-Jul-14 20:51
Simon & Matt, I am so sorry!
08-Jul-14 22:36
@chrishirst: True, true. The internet moves pretty quickly. That said, most of our traffic (and therefore most of the lost traffic) comes to the blog side of Elated. The forums have never been that high-traffic.

Maybe you're right that 90% of the footer links are gone, but there are still 40,000+ of them showing up in GWT! :-/

As always Chris, thanks so much for helping out on our forums for all this time. I'm not sure what to do about the forums now tbh. Leave them as-is? Leave existing topics there, but prevent any new posts? Any thoughts?

@Arthur_AJ: Thanks man

--
Matt Doyle, Elated
09-Jul-14 18:38
Unfortunately you can't always go by Webmaster Tools because Google do keep long dead URLs in their index. They take the 404 response to extremes.
Locking the forums down so they cannot become a haven for the link droppers was what we decided to do at SearchBliss, that went into the doldrums around the same time. It was almost as if there had been some secret signal had been given to all Internet users that said "Right! The time for webmaster forums and blogs is over and you stop visiting them today, a bit like the dinosaurs dying out in what was by geological time scales almost overnight.
It's just puzzling how practically every site in a particular marketplace went from 'green and fertile' to 'arid and lifeless' in a matter of days.

Even the normally frenetic pace of the scammers and spammers hijacking each other threads at DP hit a new low.

--
Chris.
So long, and thanks for all the fish.
http://webmaster-talk.eu/
14-Jul-14 06:16
What a complete bummer. I for one have learnt so much from elated and my first website was based on a page kit that you so kindly made available. I am sorry to hear how the web changes have impacted on you both professionally and personally. Don't be too down-hearted guys; entrepreneurs such as yourselves will always be successful because they adapt to new things.

The way the web works now isn't a setback for you; it's a challenge. There will always be support for people who give to others and elated has always done that.

My best wishes to you and to your future health and success. Oh, and THANK YOU.
14-Jul-14 06:44
@Krazy.
You two are the reason I decided on the internet and programming (back in the 90s) as a secondary then primary source of income. Tips 'n' Tricks, PageKits, and one on one advice—all free! (Plus another long gone site once called 'NavWorks.') Again, thank you so much! Please do not give up guys. If you can still find a place for 'Elated' in your work and personal lives... I would be elated!
14-Jul-14 14:27
Thanks for the kind words everyone!

Simon

--
ELATED : )
http://www.elated.com
10-Aug-14 17:51
This is so upsetting to read. This site virtually launched my career in web design/development and ironically, SEO. I learned via the PageKits and my first sites were based on them. I would have never continued if it weren't for Elated. Many years later I am now working for a top agency on major brands from Coca-Cola to Microsoft.

I had a moment of nostalgia today and thought to check out the site and came across this article. I have also worked to remove penalties from sites hit by Google updates and I know how frustrating it can be. I understand Google is also a business and will work in its best interest, but this is personally disheartening.

Thanks for everything you guys have offered and good luck with all future endeavors. Shame on Google for this.
12-Aug-14 07:06
thanks
17-Aug-14 01:32
@brookshadden: Thanks for your support - great to hear that Elated has helped so many people over the years.

--
Matt Doyle, Elated
09-Sep-14 02:55
Hi Matt,
I've been following this site for the last year. So sorry to hear whats happened.

I've used your tutorials to give me an understanding of CMS's and increase my PHP knowledge. Rather than a 'help me' post, I thought it might be nice to see what you have helped me achieve/learn!

adamtoms.co.uk is running off your original CMS tutorial. Its grown into a small CMS capable of powering my webste, fulfilling my want to learn PHP.

Would love to show you the admin panel... Contact me for the details if your keen

Best wishes for the future,
Adam
10-Sep-14 21:17
@atoms: Thanks for your comment - that's great to hear. Your site looks really good

--
Matt Doyle, Elated
31-Jul-16 04:11
Come back for us we are waiting for you.
Thanks a lot.

--
jatinbedi
15-Aug-16 02:08
@jatin333: Thank you

--
Matt Doyle, Elated
17-Oct-16 07:55
Simon & Matt,

This site has served for almost two decades to web community. Now, if a reputed site like elated.com goes down, then that will be a negative signal to other web starters.

One thought. Google explicitly says that mobile-friendliness has direct effect in their search result listing.

So, don't just give up. Please try to make elated mobile friendly. Hope this will bring the old readers again.

Best of luck & Regards,

A. Roy
17-Oct-16 18:30
Thanks Examtiger! This happened a long time before Google started downranking non-mobile-friendly sites. Our site is also not mobile-friendly, but because of Penguin it's not worth our while redesigning it at this stage.

--
Matt Doyle, Elated
09-Jan-17 13:48
How unfortunate for us. You have a gift I hope to see more of in the future.
17-Jan-17 19:17
@pickedaname: Thanks mate

--
Matt Doyle, Elated

Old posts

Follow Elated